Maintenance & Repair Workers, General
Facilities Technician, Maintenance Engineer, Maintenance Mechanic, Maintenance Technician
Select a military branch to see samples.
Aerospace Ground Equipment; Aircraft Armament Systems Journeyman; Aircrew Egress Systems Apprentice; Biomedical Equipment Apprentice; Bomber/Special Electronic Warfare and Radar Surveillance Integrated Avionics Journeyman, C-135/25 AF Systems/Carry-on EW; Heavy Repair Superintendent; Low Observable Aircraft Structural Maintenance; Mission Generation Vehicular Equipment Maintenance; Refuel/Bomber Aircraft Maintenance Apprentice, B-52; Structural Journeyman
AH-64 Attack Helicopter Repairer; Ammunition Specialist; Automotive Maintenance Warrant Officer; Biomedical Equipment Specialist; Engineer Equipment Maintenance Warrant Officer; Marine Engineering Officer; Petroleum Supply Specialist; STRYKER Systems Maintainer; Small Arms/Towed Artillery Repairer; UH-60 Helicopter Repairer
Aviation Maintenance Technician; Avionics Electrical Technician; Damage Controlman; Diver; Fireman; Gunner's Mate; Machinery Technician; Marine Safety Specialist Engineer; Material Maintenance Specialty; Naval Engineering Specialty
Air Traffic Control Communications Technician; Artillery Systems Technician; Bulk Fuel Specialist; Field Artillery Cannoneer; Fixed-Wing Aircraft Airframe Mechanic-Trainee; Fixed-Wing Aircraft Mechanic, F/A-18; Fixed-Wing Aircraft Safety Equipment Mechanic, AV-8/TAV-8; Flight Equipment Technician; Maintenance Management Specialist; Precision Weapons Repairer/Technician
5"/54 Caliber Gun System MK 45 Mod 1 and 2 Maintenanceman; Auxiliary Systems Technician; CWO - Ordnance, Aviation; Diesel Engine Systems Maintainer; General Dynamics (GD) Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Core Crew Mission Specialist; Lockheed Martin (LM) Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Core Crew Mission Specialist; Mineman; Outboard Engine Maintenance Technician; Squadron Ordnance Technician; Surface Ship Nuclear Propulsion Plant Operator - Engineering Laboratory Technician
Aircraft Armament Systems; Aircraft Armament Systems Apprentice, All Other; Aircraft Armament Systems Apprentice, F-15; Aircraft Armament Systems Apprentice, F/A-22; Aircraft Armament Systems Helper, A10; Aircraft Armament Systems Helper, B-52/B-2; Aircraft Armament Systems Helper, F-35; Munitions Systems; Munitions Systems Helper; Nuclear Weapons Apprentice
What they do:Perform work involving the skills of two or more maintenance or craft occupations to keep machines, mechanical equipment, or the structure of a building in repair. Duties may involve pipe fitting; HVAC maintenance; insulating; welding; machining; carpentry; repairing electrical or mechanical equipment; installing, aligning, and balancing new equipment; and repairing buildings, floors, or stairs.
On the job, you would:
- Perform routine maintenance, such as inspecting drives, motors, or belts, checking fluid levels, replacing filters, or doing other preventive maintenance actions.
- Inspect, operate, or test machinery or equipment to diagnose machine malfunctions.
- Adjust functional parts of devices or control instruments, using hand tools, levels, plumb bobs, or straightedges.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- notice when problems happen
- see hidden patterns
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Operating system software
- Apple macOS
Video creation and editing software
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
certificate after high school or
high school diploma/GED
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, & Systems Assemblers
- Hydroelectric Plant Technicians
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, & Steamfitters
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about maintenance and repair workers, general.