Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, & Systems Assemblers
Assembler, Sheet Metal Assembler and Riveter (SMAR), Sheet Metal Mechanic, Structures Technician
Select a military branch to see samples.
Aerospace Propulsion; Aerospace Propulsion Journeyman, TF33, CF6, F103, F108, F117, TFE-731, TF39, PW 2040, F138 Jet Engines (Airlift, Special Mission, and B-52 aircraft); Aircraft Armament Systems Craftsman; Aircraft Electrical And Environmental Systems Craftsman; Airlift/Special Mission Aircraft Maintenance Apprentice; Airlift/Special Mission Aircraft Maintenance Manager; Helicopter/Tiltrotor Aircraft Maintenance Journeyman, H-60; Refuel/Bomber Aircraft Maintenance Apprentice, B-2; Refuel/Bomber Aircraft Maintenance Journeyman, KC-10; Tactical Aircraft Maintenance (5th Generation) Helper, F-22
AH-64 Attack Helicopter Repairer; Aircraft Powerplant Repairer; Aircraft Structural Repairer; Aviation Maintenance Technician (Nonrated); Aviation Senior Sergeant; CH-47 Helicopter Repairer; RQ-7 Repairer; UH-60 Helicopter Repairer; Unit Supply Specialist
Aviation Maintenance Technician
Additive Manufacturing Officer; Aircraft Maintenance (Rotary-Wing); Enlisted Aircrew/Aerial Observer/Gunner; Fixed-Wing Aircraft Airframe Mechanic, KC-130; Fixed-Wing Aircraft Loadmaster, KC-130; Fixed-Wing Aircraft Power Plants Mechanic, F-402; Fixed-Wing Aircraft Safety Equipment Mechanic, F-35; Helicopter Airframe Mechanic, CH-53; Helicopter Power Plants Mechanic, T-400/T-700; Tiltrotor Airframe Mechanic, MV-22
Advanced Composite Structural Repair IMA Technician; Aviation Boatswain's Mate, Launching and Recovery Equipment; Aviation Structural Mechanic; C-130 Systems Organizational Maintenance Technician; C-40 Systems Organizational Maintenance Safe For Flight Certifier; E-2C Group II Systems Organizational Initial Maintenance Technician; E-6B System Organizational Career Maintenance Technician; F/A-18 A/B/C/D Systems Organizational Initial Maintenance Technician; Individual Augmentation (IA) Support Assignment-Shadow Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Electronics Maintenance Specialist; Naval Aircrewman (Mechanical)
Missile And Space Systems Maintenance; Missile And Space Systems Maintenance Journeyman
What they do:Assemble, fit, fasten, and install parts of airplanes, space vehicles, or missiles, such as tails, wings, fuselage, bulkheads, stabilizers, landing gear, rigging and control equipment, or heating and ventilating systems.
On the job, you would:
- Assemble parts, fittings, or subassemblies on aircraft, using layout tools, hand tools, power tools, or fasteners, such as bolts, screws, rivets, or clamps.
- Read blueprints, illustrations, or specifications to determine layouts, sequences of operations, or identities or relationships of parts.
- Attach brackets, hinges, or clips to secure or support components or subassemblies, using bolts, screws, rivets, chemical bonding, or welding.
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- put together small parts with your fingers
- hold or move items with your hands
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
Electronic mail software
- Microsoft Outlook
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- SAP software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aircraft Mechanics & Service Technicians
- Electrical & Electronic Equipment Assemblers
- Engine & Other Machine Assemblers
- Layout Workers, Metal & Plastic
- Structural Metal Fabricators & Fitters
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about aircraft structure, surfaces, rigging, and systems assemblers.