Layout Workers, Metal & Plastic
Layout Inspector, Layout Man, Layout Technician (Layout Tech), Layout Worker
Select a military branch to see samples.
Structural; Structural Apprentice; Structural Craftsman; Structural Helper; Structural Journeyman
Allied Trades Specialist; Allied Trades Warrant Officer
Damage Controlman; Marine Safety Specialist Engineer; Material Maintenance Specialty
Machinist; Metal Worker
Advanced Machinery Repairman; Hull Maintenance Technician; Machinery Repairman; Machinery Repairman Apprentice; Machinery Repairman Journeyman; NAMTS Shipfitter; SteelworkerNo similar titles were found.
What they do:Lay out reference points and dimensions on metal or plastic stock or workpieces, such as sheets, plates, tubes, structural shapes, castings, or machine parts, for further processing. Includes shipfitters.
On the job, you would:
- Mark curves, lines, holes, dimensions, and welding symbols onto workpieces, using scribes, soapstones, punches, and hand drills.
- Plan locations and sequences of cutting, drilling, bending, rolling, punching, and welding operations, using compasses, protractors, dividers, and rules.
- Fit and align fabricated parts to be welded or assembled.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- using math to solve problems
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- read and understand what is written
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Procedure management software
- Hexagon Metrology PC-DMIS
- Optical Gaging Products Measure-X
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, & Systems Assemblers
- Model Makers, Metal & Plastic
- Patternmakers, Metal & Plastic
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Structural Metal Fabricators & Fitters
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about layout workers, metal and plastic.