Structural Metal Fabricators & Fitters
Fabricator, Fitter, Layout Man, Ship Fitter
Select a military branch to see samples.
Aircraft Metals Technology; Aircraft Metals Technology Craftsman; Aircraft Metals Technology Journeyman; Aircraft Structural Maintenance Apprentice; Aircraft Structural Maintenance Helper; Low Observable Aircraft Structural Maintenance; Low Observable Aircraft Structural Maintenance Craftsman; Low Observable Aircraft Structural Maintenance Journeyman; Structural Apprentice; Structural Helper
Allied Trades Specialist; Allied Trades Warrant Officer
Aviation Maintenance Technician; Damage Controlman; Marine Safety Specialist Engineer; Material Maintenance Specialty
Aircraft Welder; Machinist; Metal Worker
Advanced Machinery Repairman; Aeronautical Welder; Conversion NEC HT Hull Maintenance Technician Basic; Hull Maintenance Technician; Hull Systems Technician; Machinery Repairman; Machinery Repairman Journeyman; Ship Survivability Systems Maintainer; Ship Survivability Systems Technician; SteelworkerNo similar titles were found.
What they do:Fabricate, position, align, and fit parts of structural metal products.
On the job, you would:
- Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
- Align and fit parts according to specifications, using jacks, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, and hammers.
- Move parts into position, manually or with hoists or cranes.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
Computer aided design CAD software
- Dassault Systemes CATIA
- Tekla software
Electronic mail software
- Microsoft Outlook
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, & Systems Assemblers
- Layout Workers, Metal & Plastic
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Structural Iron & Steel Workers
- Welding, Soldering, & Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about structural metal fabricators and fitters.