Textile Bleaching & Dyeing Machine Operators & Tenders
Also called: Drug Room Operator, Dye Machine Operator, Dye Operator, Machine Operator
In the Marine Corps: Machinist
In the Navy: Retail Services Specialist
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Textile machine operators use machines to make thread, yarn, fabric, and other textiles from a variety of materials. They move material from one stage of processing to another to ensure a quality finished product. Bleaching and dyeing machine operators treat fabrics with chemical solutions to change their color. They monitor machine displays and make adjustments to ensure processes run correctly, including those that wash, bleach, shrink, or dye textiles. Cutting machine operators use manual and electric devices to cut layers of fabric according to patterns. They adjust machine tension or speed, and maintain the machinery. Knitting and weaving machine operators produce fabric and knitted garments. They feed yarn and thread through guides and rollers to weave and knit materials on machines. They make sure woven cloth is free of defects and make adjustments and minor repairs when needed. Winding, twisting, and drawing out machine operators tend machines that wind or twist textiles; or draw out and combine materials such as wool, hemp, or synthetic fibers to make thread and yarn. They also wind thread and wire onto shuttle bobbins—thread for sewing machines, and wire to reinforce sheet glass as it’s manufactured. Textile machine operator positions typically require a high school diploma or equivalent.
What they do:Operate or tend machines to bleach, shrink, wash, dye, or finish textiles or synthetic or glass fibers.
On the job, you would:
- Add dyes, water, detergents, or chemicals to tanks to dilute or strengthen solutions, according to established formulas and solution test results.
- Notify supervisors or mechanics of equipment malfunctions.
- Adjust equipment controls to maintain specified heat, tension, and speed.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- change when and how fast you move based on how something else is moving
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Operating system software
- Cleaning, Washing, & Metal Pickling Equipment Operators & Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, & Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, & Kettle Operators & Tenders
- Machine Feeders & Offbearers
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, & Still Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: