Grinding & Polishing Workers, Hand
Also called: Buffer, Finisher, Grinder, Polisher
What they do:Grind, sand, or polish, using hand tools or hand-held power tools, a variety of metal, wood, stone, clay, plastic, or glass objects. Includes chippers, buffers, and finishers.
On the job, you would:
- Grind, sand, clean, or polish objects or parts to correct defects or to prepare surfaces for further finishing, using hand tools and power tools.
- Verify quality of finished workpieces by inspecting them, comparing them to templates, measuring their dimensions, or testing them in working machinery.
- Move controls to adjust, start, or stop equipment during grinding and polishing processes.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Word processing software
Data base user interface and query software
- Coating, Painting, & Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Cutting & Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, & Aquacultural Animals
- Packaging & Filling Machine Operators & Tenders
- Tool Grinders, Filers, & Sharpeners
You might like a career in one of these industries: