Semiconductor Processing Technicians
Diffusion Operator, Engineering Technician, Process Technician, Wafer Fabrication Operator
see titles from the Air Force.
Developmental Engineer; Developmental Engineer, Aeronautical; Developmental Engineer, Astronautical; Developmental Engineer, C2ISREW; Developmental Engineer, Electrical/Electronic; Developmental Engineer, Flight Test; Developmental Engineer, Helicopter or EWO; Developmental Engineer, Project; Developmental Engineer, Special Operations; Developmental Engineer, Tanker
What they do:
Perform any or all of the following functions in the manufacture of electronic semiconductors: load semiconductor material into furnace; saw formed ingots into segments; load individual segment into crystal growing chamber and monitor controls; locate crystal axis in ingot using x-ray equipment and saw ingots into wafers; and clean, polish, and load wafers into series of special purpose furnaces, chemical baths, and equipment used to form circuitry and change conductive properties.
On the job, you would:
- Manipulate valves, switches, and buttons, or key commands into control panels to start semiconductor processing cycles.
- Maintain processing, production, and inspection information and reports.
- Inspect materials, components, or products for surface defects and measure circuitry, using electronic test equipment, precision measuring instruments, microscope, and standard procedures.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
Arts and Humanities
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- read and understand what is written
- listen and understand what people say
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Industrial control software
- Camstar Systems Camstar Semiconductor Suite
- Eyelit Manufacturing
Development environment software
- National Instruments TestStand
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
- Electrical & Electronic Equipment Assemblers
- Extruding & Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Extruding & Forming Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Synthetic & Glass Fibers
- Plating Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, & Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, & Tenders
You might like a career in one of these industries: