Social & Community Service Managers
Child Welfare Services Director, Social Services Director, Transitional Care Director, Vocational Rehabilitation Administrator
What they do:Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of a social service program or community outreach organization. Oversee the program or organization's budget and policies regarding participant involvement, program requirements, and benefits. Work may involve directing social workers, counselors, or probation officers.
On the job, you would:
- Establish and oversee administrative procedures to meet objectives set by boards of directors or senior management.
- Direct activities of professional and technical staff members and volunteers.
- Evaluate the work of staff and volunteers to ensure that programs are of appropriate quality and that resources are used effectively.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- IBM Lotus 1-2-3
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Data base user interface and query software
- FileMaker Pro
- Microsoft Access
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Child, Family, & School Social Workers
- Community Health Workers
- Education & Childcare Administrators, Preschool & Daycare
- Healthcare Social Workers
- Rehabilitation Counselors
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about social and community service managers.