Emergency Management Directors
Emergency Management Coordinator, Emergency Management System Director (EMS Director), Emergency Planner, Emergency Services Director
What they do:Plan and direct disaster response or crisis management activities, provide disaster preparedness training, and prepare emergency plans and procedures for natural (e.g., hurricanes, floods, earthquakes), wartime, or technological (e.g., nuclear power plant emergencies or hazardous materials spills) disasters or hostage situations.
On the job, you would:
- Keep informed of activities or changes that could affect the likelihood of an emergency, response efforts, or plan implementation.
- Prepare emergency situation status reports that describe response and recovery efforts, needs, and preliminary damage assessments.
- Prepare plans that outline operating procedures to be used in response to disasters or emergencies, such as hurricanes, nuclear accidents, and terrorist attacks, and in recovery from these events.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- talking to others
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- looking for ways to help people
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- do two or more things at the same time
- quickly know what you are looking at
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
You might use software like this on the job:
Geographic information system
- ESRI ArcGIS software
- Geographic information system GIS software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Data base user interface and query software
- Relational database software
- SoftRisk Technologies SoftRisk SQL
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Business Continuity Planners
- Compliance Managers
- Information Security Engineers
- Security Management Specialists
- Security Managers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about emergency management directors.