Also called: Marketing Director, Master Hearth Technician, Online Services Manager, Supervisor of Operations
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Want to start a business without breaking the bank to rent a location? Online merchants can get the best of both worlds, establishing a place for themselves in the market and saving money by working from home. Online merchants sell, package, and ship products to customers or distributors. On a daily basis, they might check their computer for new orders and process payments received for merchandise. Then, they might buy a new product and upload an appealing picture of it to the online store. Online merchants make sure users can find and navigate their website and then buy their products easily. They typically set the prices for products, and email customers to confirm transactions and communicate throughout the shipment process. Some online merchants work in teams for a store or distributor, while others work independently from home. This career allows a lot of schedule flexibility they may work full-time on developing their online store, or work part-time for some extra cash. Online merchants rely more on their business savvy than formal education to get their careers started. In this field, good customer service and the ability to work independently are essential to success.
What they do:Conduct retail activities of businesses operating exclusively online. May perform duties such as preparing business strategies, buying merchandise, managing inventory, implementing marketing activities, fulfilling and shipping online orders, and balancing financial records.
On the job, you would:
- Fill customer orders by packaging sold items and documentation for direct shipping or by transferring orders to manufacturers or third-party distributors.
- Receive and process payments from customers, using electronic transaction services.
- Create, manage, or automate orders or invoices, using order management or invoicing software.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- sales and marketing
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- looking for ways to help people
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Web platform development software
Point of sale POS software
- Snorasson Holdings CCNow
Web page creation and editing software