Network & Computer Systems Administrators
Information Technology Specialist (IT Specialist), Local Area Network Administrator (LAN Administrator), Network Administrator, Systems Administrator
What they do:Install, configure, and maintain an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), data communications network, operating systems, and physical and virtual servers. Perform system monitoring and verify the integrity and availability of hardware, network, and server resources and systems. Review system and application logs and verify completion of scheduled jobs, including system backups. Analyze network and server resource consumption and control user access. Install and upgrade software and maintain software licenses. May assist in network modeling, analysis, planning, and coordination between network and data communications hardware and software.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components when necessary.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- administrative services
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
People and Technology Systems
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Web platform development software
- Microsoft ASP.NET
Data base user interface and query software
- Blackboard software
Network monitoring software
- Remote monitoring software
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Computer Network Architects
- Computer Network Support Specialists
- Database Administrators
- Information Security Engineers
- Software Developers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about network and computer systems administrators.