Economic Analyst, Economic Consultant, Economist, Research Associate
What they do:Conduct research, prepare reports, or formulate plans to address economic problems related to the production and distribution of goods and services or monetary and fiscal policy. May collect and process economic and statistical data using sampling techniques and econometric methods.
On the job, you would:
- Study economic and statistical data in area of specialization, such as finance, labor, or agriculture.
- Conduct research on economic issues, and disseminate research findings through technical reports or scientific articles in journals.
- Compile, analyze, and report data to explain economic phenomena and forecast market trends, applying mathematical models and statistical techniques.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- accounting and economics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- IBM SPSS Statistics
- The MathWorks MATLAB
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Object or component oriented development software
- Oracle Java
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
doctoral degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Environmental Economists
- Financial & Investment Analysts
- Financial Risk Specialists
- Political Scientists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about economists.