Multimedia Artists & Animators
Also called: Animator, Designer, Graphic Artist, Illustrator
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Multimedia artists and animators turn ideas and sketches into heroes, villains, and monsters. They create visual wonders for your favorite television shows, movies, and video games. Multimedia artists and animators conduct research to design characters and settings for a story, and then develop storyboards that map out major scenes. They bring creativity and artistic skill to the drawing board -painting or sketching designs- or they may use computer generated images to develop digital models of their ideas. Teamwork is essential, as each animator works on part of a project that must fit seamlessly with others' work. Feedback is shared frequently between animators, game designers, directors, and clients. Working together under deadlines can create stress, but often brings the team's vision together. These artists usually specialize... they may animate video games... develop visual effects for movies... or create computer generated images for television. About half of multimedia artists and animators are self-employed, while others work for the motion picture and video industries, or in scientific and technical settings. Most work regular hours, but may work nights and weekends when deadlines demand it. A bachelor's degree in art or computer graphics is crucial for building both the skills and the portfolio necessary to enter the field. Multimedia artists and animators bring the fantastic and dreamlike alive and make them... unforgettable.
What they do:Create special effects, animation, or other visual images using film, video, computers, or other electronic tools and media for use in products or creations, such as computer games, movies, music videos, and commercials.
On the job, you would:
- Design complex graphics and animation, using independent judgment, creativity, and computer equipment.
- Create basic designs, drawings, and illustrations for product labels, cartons, direct mail, or television.
- Participate in design and production of multimedia campaigns, handling budgeting and scheduling, and assisting with such responsibilities as production coordination, background design, and progress tracking.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include creating, designing, and making your own rules.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Graphics or photo imaging software
Development environment software
Web platform development software