Artist, Designer, Graphic Artist, Graphic Designer
What they do:Design or create graphics to meet specific commercial or promotional needs, such as packaging, displays, or logos. May use a variety of mediums to achieve artistic or decorative effects.
On the job, you would:
- Determine size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, and select style and size of type.
- Confer with clients to discuss and determine layout design.
- Create designs, concepts, and sample layouts, based on knowledge of layout principles and esthetic design concepts.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- music, dance, visual arts, drama, or sculpture
- customer service
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- create new and original ideas
- come up with lots of ideas
People interested in this work like activities that include creating, designing, and making your own rules.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Web platform development software
- Oracle JavaServer Pages JSP
Video creation and editing software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Autodesk Revit
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Art Directors
- Desktop Publishers
- Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, & Illustrators
- Special Effects Artists & Animators
- Web & Digital Interface Designers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about graphic designers.