Commercial Photographer, Photographer, Photojournalist, Portrait Photographer
What they do:Photograph people, landscapes, merchandise, or other subjects. May use lighting equipment to enhance a subject's appearance. May use editing software to produce finished images and prints. Includes commercial and industrial photographers, scientific photographers, and photojournalists.
On the job, you would:
- Adjust apertures, shutter speeds, and camera focus according to a combination of factors, such as lighting, field depth, subject motion, film type, and film speed.
- Create artificial light, using flashes and reflectors.
- Determine desired images and picture composition, selecting and adjusting subjects, equipment, and lighting to achieve desired effects.
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- music, dance, visual arts, drama, or sculpture
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- looking for ways to help people
- understanding people's reactions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- create new and original ideas
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include creating, designing, and making your own rules.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Cradoc fotoBiz
- Microsoft Access
Video creation and editing software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Art Directors
- Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, & Illustrators
- Graphic Designers
- Photographic Process Workers & Processing Machine Operators
- Special Effects Artists & Animators
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about photographers.