Clinical Cytogeneticist Scientist (CCS), Cytogenetic Technologist, Cytogenetics Clinical Laboratory Specialist (CG CLSp), Molecular Genetics Technologist
What they do:Analyze chromosomes or chromosome segments found in biological specimens, such as amniotic fluids, bone marrow, solid tumors, and blood to aid in the study, diagnosis, classification, or treatment of inherited or acquired genetic diseases. Conduct analyses through classical cytogenetic, fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) or array comparative genome hybridization (aCGH) techniques.
On the job, you would:
- Arrange and attach chromosomes in numbered pairs on karyotype charts, using standard genetics laboratory practices and nomenclature, to identify normal or abnormal chromosomes.
- Count numbers of chromosomes and identify the structural abnormalities by viewing culture slides through microscopes, light microscopes, or photomicroscopes.
- Examine chromosomes found in biological specimens to detect abnormalities.
Math and Science
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- see hidden patterns
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Object or component oriented development software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Analytical or scientific software
- Cell Bioscience Automated Image Capture
- MetaSystems Isis Color Karyotyping
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
certificate after college
certificate after college
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Histology Technicians
- Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technicians
- Medical & Clinical Laboratory Technologists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about cytogenetic technologists.