Mental Health Associate, Mental Health Technician (MHT), MHW (Mental Health Worker), Psychiatric Technician (PT)
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
- Encourage patients to develop work skills and to participate in social, recreational, or other therapeutic activities that enhance interpersonal skills or develop social relationships.
- Restrain violent, potentially violent, or suicidal patients by verbal or physical means as required.
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- therapy and counseling
- medicine and dentistry
- customer service
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- understanding people's reactions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
- Netsmart Technologies Avatar Clinical Workstation CWS
Electronic mail software
- Microsoft Outlook
Get started on your career: