Mental Health Worker (MHW), Psychiatric Aide, Psychiatric Nursing Aide, Therapeutic Program Worker (TPW)
What they do:Assist mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed patients, working under direction of nursing and medical staff. May assist with daily living activities, lead patients in educational and recreational activities, or accompany patients to and from examinations and treatments. May restrain violent patients. Includes psychiatric orderlies.
On the job, you would:
- Record and maintain patient information, such as vital signs, eating habits, behavior, progress notes, treatments, or discharge plans.
- Listen and provide emotional support and encouragement to psychiatric patients.
- Complete physical checks and monitor patients to detect unusual or harmful behavior and report observations to professional staff.
Math and Science
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
- therapy and counseling
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- talking to others
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
- Social Orientation
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Home Health Aides
- Nursing Assistants
- Occupational Therapy Aides
- Physical Therapist Aides
- Psychiatric Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about psychiatric aides.