Also called: Mental Health Associate, Mental Health Technician (MHT), Mental Health Worker, Psychiatric Technician (PT)
What they do:Care for individuals with mental or emotional conditions or disabilities, following the instructions of physicians or other health practitioners. Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report to medical staff. May participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs, help with personal hygiene, and administer oral or injectable medications.
On the job, you would:
- Take and record measures of patients' physical condition, using devices such as thermometers or blood pressure gauges.
- Monitor patients' physical and emotional well-being and report unusual behavior or physical ailments to medical staff.
- Provide nursing, psychiatric, or personal care to mentally ill, emotionally disturbed, or mentally retarded patients.
Math and Science
- therapy and counseling
- customer service
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- talking to others
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- understanding people's reactions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
You might use software like this on the job:
- Allscripts Sunrise Clinical Manager
- GE Healthcare Centricity EMR
Office suite software