Correctional Officers & Jailers
Correctional Officer, Corrections Officer (CO), Detention Officer, Jailer
What they do:Guard inmates in penal or rehabilitative institutions in accordance with established regulations and procedures. May guard prisoners in transit between jail, courtroom, prison, or other point. Includes deputy sheriffs and police who spend the majority of their time guarding prisoners in correctional institutions.
On the job, you would:
- Conduct head counts to ensure that each prisoner is present.
- Inspect conditions of locks, window bars, grills, doors, and gates at correctional facilities to ensure security and help prevent escapes.
- Monitor conduct of prisoners in housing unit, or during work or recreational activities, according to established policies, regulations, and procedures, to prevent escape or violence.
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- law and government
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- administrative services
- customer service
Math and Science
- talking to others
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- understanding people's reactions
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Hearing and Speech
- speak clearly
- recognize spoken words
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- 3M Electronic Monitoring
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Excel
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers
- First-Line Supervisors of Police & Detectives
- Police & Sheriff's Patrol Officers
- Probation Officers & Correctional Treatment Specialists
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about correctional officers and jailers.