First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
Department Manager, Meat Department Manager, Shift Manager, Store Manager
What they do:Directly supervise and coordinate activities of retail sales workers in an establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
On the job, you would:
- Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers and responding to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers.
- Examine merchandise to ensure that it is correctly priced and displayed and that it functions as advertised.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- looking for ways to help people
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- order or arrange things
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- Oracle Database
- Yardi software
Video creation and editing software
- Apple Final Cut Pro
Point of sale POS software
- CyberMatrix POS
- Plexis Software Plexis POS
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- First-Line Supervisors of Entertainment & Recreation Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation & Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Office & Administrative Support Workers
- Sales Representatives of Services
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about first-line supervisors of retail sales workers.