First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
Also called: Assistant Manager, Department Manager, Manager, Store Manager
What they do:Directly supervise and coordinate activities of retail sales workers in an establishment or department. Duties may include management functions, such as purchasing, budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
On the job, you would:
- Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers and responding to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Direct and supervise employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers.
- Monitor sales activities to ensure that customers receive satisfactory service and quality goods.
- customer service
- sales and marketing
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- looking for ways to help people
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Point of sale POS software
- CyberMatrix POS
- Plexis Software Plexis POS
Time accounting software
- Hagel Unitime Systems
- Kronos Workforce Timekeeper
Data base user interface and query software
Examples of Registered Apprenticeship programs include:
- Manager, Retail Store