Medical Appliance Technicians
Lab Technician, Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician (O and P Technician), Orthotic Technician, Prosthetics Technician
What they do:Construct, maintain, or repair medical supportive devices such as braces, orthotics and prosthetic devices, joints, arch supports, and other surgical and medical appliances.
On the job, you would:
- Drill and tap holes for rivets, and glue, weld, bolt, or rivet parts together to form prosthetic or orthotic devices.
- Read prescriptions or specifications to determine the type of product or device to be fabricated and the materials and tools required.
- Make orthotic or prosthetic devices, using materials such as thermoplastic and thermosetting materials, metal alloys and leather, and hand or power tools.
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Ohio Willow Wood OMEGA Tracer System
- Footmaxx Metascan software
- Gait analysis software
- Microsoft Excel
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Dental Laboratory Technicians
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Molders, Shapers, & Casters
- Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians
- Structural Metal Fabricators & Fitters
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about medical appliance technicians.