Geological Sample Test Technicians
Laboratory Technician, Organic Section Technical Lead, Physical Science Technician, Quality Control Technician (QC Technician)
see titles from the Army or Navy.
Petroleum Laboratory Specialist; Petroleum Technician
LDO - Meteorology/Oceanography; Oil Analysis Operator/Evaluator
What they do:
Test or analyze geological samples, crude oil, or minerals to detect presence of petroleum, gas, or mineral deposits indicating potential for exploration or production or to determine physical or chemical properties to ensure that products meet quality standards.
On the job, you would:
- Test and analyze samples to determine their content and characteristics, using laboratory apparatus or testing equipment.
- Collect or prepare solid or fluid samples for analysis.
- Compile, log, or record testing or operational data for review and further analysis.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- reading work related information
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- order or arrange things
- read and understand what is written
- listen and understand what people say
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Map creation software
- Martin D Adamiker's TruFlite
- Surface III
Analytical or scientific software
- Landmark GeoGraphix
- Seismic Micro-Technology KINGDOM
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Corel CorelDraw Graphics Suite