Mental Health Counselors
Clinician, Counselor, Mental Health Counselor, Therapist
see titles from the Air Force or Navy.
Chaplain Assistant; Chaplain Assistant Apprentice; Chaplain Assistant Craftsman; Chaplain Assistant Helper; Chaplain Assistant Journeyman; Chaplain Assistant Superintendent
Religious Program Specialist
What they do:
Counsel with emphasis on prevention. Work with individuals and groups to promote optimum mental and emotional health. May help individuals deal with issues associated with addictions and substance abuse; family, parenting, and marital problems; stress management; self-esteem; and aging.
On the job, you would:
- Maintain confidentiality of records relating to clients' treatment.
- Encourage clients to express their feelings and discuss what is happening in their lives, helping them to develop insight into themselves or their relationships.
- Collect information about clients through interviews, observation, or tests.
Math and Science
- sociology and anthropology
- customer service
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- understanding people's reactions
- looking for ways to help people
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
People interested in this work like activities that include helping people, teaching, and talking.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Internet browser software
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Netscape Navigator
- Client information database systems
- Patient electronic medical record EMR software
Electronic mail software
- Email software
- Microsoft Outlook