Compositor, Computer Typesetter, Electronic Console Display Operator, Publisher
Select a military branch to see samples.
Cyber Defense Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Apprentice, Networks Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Craftsman; Cyber Defense Operations Craftsman, RF Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Helper, Client Systems Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Helper, Software Development Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Journeyman, Knowledge Operations; Cyber Defense Operations Journeyman, Systems Operations; Knowledge Management Craftsman; Public Affairs Craftsman
Chief Public Affairs NCO; Public Affairs Mass Communication Specialist
Public Affairs Specialist; Public Information Specialty
Advanced Visual Information-Graphics Marine; Combat Graphics Specialist
Graphic Illustrator Journeyman; Motion Picture and Television Project Officer; Printing and Publications Officer; Weapons Technical Information Officer
Knowledge Management; Knowledge Management Apprentice; Knowledge Management Craftsman; Knowledge Management Helper; Knowledge Management Journeyman
What they do:Format typescript and graphic elements using computer software to produce publication-ready material.
On the job, you would:
- Operate desktop publishing software and equipment to design, lay out, and produce camera-ready copy.
- Position text and art elements from a variety of databases in a visually appealing way to design print or web pages, using knowledge of type styles and size and layout patterns.
- Check preliminary and final proofs for errors and make necessary corrections.
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- reading work related information
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- create new and original ideas
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by writing
People interested in this work like activities that include creating, designing, and making your own rules.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Creative Cloud software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Illustrator
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Desktop publishing software
- Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
- Microsoft Publisher
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Film & Video Editors
- Graphic Designers
- Prepress Technicians & Workers
- Proofreaders & Copy Markers
- Web & Digital Interface Designers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about desktop publishers.