Mold Maker, Pattern Maker, Patternmaker, Wood Pattern Maker
see titles from the Air Force, Army, or Navy.
Heavy Repair Superintendent; Structural; Structural Apprentice; Structural Craftsman; Structural Helper; Structural Journeyman
Carpentry and Masonry Specialist; Construction Engineering Technician
Builder; Constructionman; Master Chief Constructionman
What they do:
Plan, lay out, and construct wooden unit or sectional patterns used in forming sand molds for castings.
On the job, you would:
- Read blueprints, drawings, or written specifications to determine sizes and shapes of patterns and required machine setups.
- Fit, fasten, and assemble wood parts together to form patterns, models, or sections, using glue, nails, dowels, bolts, and screws.
- Lay out patterns on wood stock and draw outlines of units, sectional patterns, or full-scale mock-ups of products, based on blueprint specifications and sketches, and using marking and measuring devices.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- customer service
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- reading work related information
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- hold or move items with your hands
- keep your arm or hand steady
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- group things in different ways
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- 3D Systems Geomagic Design X
- Autodesk AutoCAD
Computer aided manufacturing CAM software
- Delcam PowerMILL
high school diploma/GED or
certificate after high school
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
You might like a career in one of these industries: