Writers & Authors
Also called: Advertisement Agency Copywriter (Ad Agency Copywriter), Advertising Copywriter, Copywriter, Freelance Copywriter
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
When a nineteenth century British author wrote “the pen is mightier than the sword,” he was referring to the tremendous power of words used skillfully by writers and authors. Writers use their language skills to produce content for an audience. They compose books, movie screenplays, magazine articles, and web content. Writers need creativity to come up with ideas, critical thinking skills to convey their concepts clearly, and persuasively, when needed, and adaptability to understand their audience’s perspectives. The work of different types of writers varies significantly: creative writers like novelists, songwriters, poets, and playwrights are generally self-employed, and may labor for months or years before getting published, while technical writers and copywriters often work 9-to-5 jobs with a clear career path. Copywriters work on ad campaigns, and technical writers prepare instruction manuals and how-to guides. Using specialized skills, often learned on the job, they simplify complex ideas for the public, or write highly-technical material for a specific professional audience. Writers and authors often work in offices, but may work from any location with Internet access. Most writers have a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or English, and lots of writing practice. Aspiring writers who want to enter the field often gain experience from internships, blogging about their personal interests, writing for school publications, small businesses or non-profits, or local news organizations.
What they do:Originate and prepare written material, such as scripts, stories, advertisements, and other material.
On the job, you would:
- Develop advertising campaigns for a wide range of clients, working with an advertising agency's creative director and art director to determine the best way to present advertising information.
- Vary language and tone of messages based on product and medium.
- Present drafts and ideas to clients.
- sales and marketing
- customer service
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- writing things for co-workers or customers
- reading work related information
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by writing
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- come up with lots of ideas
- create new and original ideas
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Video creation and editing software
Web page creation and editing software