Advertising Sales Agents
Also called: Advertising Account Representative, Advertising Representative, Advertising Sales Representative (Ad Sales Representative), Sales Representative
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
People in sales careers often talk about the thrill of “closing a deal”— that point when customers commit to buying whatever they’re selling. Advertising sales agents sell advertising space to businesses and individuals to expand the public’s awareness of products and services. They sell ads for online and print editions of publications such as newspapers and magazines, radio, television, billboards, and more. Because their income and job security both depend on it, these sales agents invest a lot of their time building relationships with their customers. They research and analyze clients’ needs, and prepare creative, persuasive materials to encourage them to buy advertising. Many need to meet sales goals, so are continuously on the lookout for sources of new clients, making phone calls and office visits to interest them in advertising. Agents need to keep detailed contact and communication records, and be prepared to draft advertising contracts for clients. They also need to represent their employer reliably and answer any questions a client may have. Good communication skills are essential for the field. Most advertising sales agents work full time, but many work weekends and holidays, or irregular schedules. Most entry-level positions require a bachelor’s degree in a field such as marketing or communications, and a proven record of success in sales.
What they do:Sell or solicit advertising space, time, or media in publications, signage, TV, radio, or Internet establishments or public spaces.
On the job, you would:
- Prepare and deliver sales presentations to new and existing customers to sell new advertising programs and to protect and increase existing advertising.
- Maintain assigned account bases while developing new accounts.
- Provide clients with estimates of the costs of advertising products or services.
- sales and marketing
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
- talking to others
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- looking for ways to help people
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- come up with lots of ideas
- create new and original ideas
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Desktop publishing software
Electronic mail software
- Advertising & Promotions Managers
- Market Research Analysts & Marketing Specialists
- Marketing Managers
- Search Marketing Strategists
You might like a career in one of these industries: