City Dispatcher, Dispatcher (Dispatch), Taxi Dispatcher, Train Dispatcher
What they do:Schedule and dispatch workers, work crews, equipment, or service vehicles for conveyance of materials, freight, or passengers, or for normal installation, service, or emergency repairs rendered outside the place of business. Duties may include using radio, telephone, or computer to transmit assignments and compiling statistics and reports on work progress.
On the job, you would:
- Schedule or dispatch workers, work crews, equipment, or service vehicles to appropriate locations, according to customer requests, specifications, or needs, using radios or telephones.
- Prepare daily work and run schedules.
- Confer with customers or supervising personnel to address questions, problems, or requests for service or equipment.
- customer service
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- looking for ways to help people
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- use rules to solve problems
- notice when problems happen
- pay attention to something without being distracted
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Stress Tolerance
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- SAP software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Mobile location based services software
- Global positioning system GPS software
- Situation resource tracking software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, & Material Movers, Hand
- First-Line Supervisors of Material-Moving Machine & Vehicle Operators
- First-Line Supervisors of Passenger Attendants
- Public Safety Telecommunicators
- Railroad Conductors & Yardmasters
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about dispatchers.