Buyer, Procurement Official, Procurement Specialist, Purchasing Agent
Select a military branch to see samples.
Acquisition Manager; Acquisition Manager, Bomber; Acquisition Manager, Helicopter or EWO; Acquisition Manager, Trainer; Contracting Helper; Contracting, ABM; Contracting, Fighter; Contracting, Special Operations; Logistics Plans Apprentice; Logistics Plans Superintendent
Acquisition; Automated Logistical Specialist; Contract and Industrial Management; Contracting Noncommissioned Officer (NCO); Property Accounting Technician; Supply Systems Technician; Unit Supply Specialist
Acquisition Project Management; Finance and Supply Specialty; Storekeeper
Acquisition Core Member; Acquisition Specialist; Marine Acquisition Officer - Aviation; Marine Acquisition Officer - Ground; Marine Acquisition Officer Candidate; Marine Corps Community Services Marine; Operational Contract Support (OCS) Officer; Operational Contract Support Specialist; Postal Clerk; Requirements Manager
Acquisition Specialist; Administrative Contracting Officer; Contracting Officer (DAWIA Level I); Contracting Officer (DAWIA Level III); Logistics Specialist; Manager, Designated Project Functional Element; Naval Plant Representative; Procurement Management Officer; Reserve Independent Duty Ashore Logistics Specialist; Space Acquisition Officer
Contracting; Contracting Craftsman; Contracting Manager; Contracting Superintendent
What they do:Purchase machinery, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, or services necessary for the operation of an establishment. Purchase raw or semifinished materials for manufacturing. May negotiate contracts.
On the job, you would:
- Monitor and follow applicable laws and regulations.
- Prepare purchase orders, solicit bid proposals, and review requisitions for goods and services.
- Negotiate, renegotiate, and administer contracts with suppliers, vendors, and other representatives.
Arts and Humanities
- English language
- customer service
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Safety and Government
- law and government
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- bringing people together to solve differences
- talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- read and understand what is written
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- notice when problems happen
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- SAP software
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Data base user interface and query software
- Microsoft Access
- Oracle Database
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Buyers & Purchasing Agents, Farm Products
- Logistics Analysts
- Procurement Clerks
- Purchasing Managers
- Wholesale & Retail Buyers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about purchasing agents.