Materials Manager, Procurement Director, Procurement Manager, Purchasing Director
Select a military branch to see samples.
Acquisition Manager; Contracting Craftsman; Contracting, Trainer; Medical Materiel Apprentice; Regional Band Apprentice, Bassoon; Regional Band Apprentice, Tuba; Regional Band Craftsman, Piano; Regional Band Helper, Euphonium; Regional Band Journeyman; Regional Band Journeyman, Steel Guitar
Acquisition; Automated Logistical Specialist; Aviation Officer; Contract and Industrial Management; Culinary Specialist; Food Service Technician; Logistics; Parachute Rigger; Property Accounting Technician; Quartermaster, General
Bandmaster; Finance and Supply Specialty; Storekeeper
Acquisition Core Member; Acquisition Specialist; Aviation Supply Specialist; Ground Supply Officer; Ground Supply Operations Officer; Marine Acquisition Officer - Ground; Marine Corps Community Services (MCCS) Officer; Marine Corps Community Services Marine; Operational Contract Support Specialist; Requirements Manager
Acquisition Specialist; Aircrew Survival Equipmentman; CWO - Ordnance, Aviation; Contracting Officer (DAWIA Level III); Gunnery/Ordnance Officer; LDO - Maintenance, Aviation; Logistics Specialist; Procurement Contracting Officer; Reserve Independent Duty Ashore Logistics Specialist; Space Acquisition Officer
Acquisition Manager; Acquisition Manager, Airlift; Acquisition Manager, C2ISREW; Acquisition Manager, Helicopter or EWO; Acquisition Manager, Special Operations; Acquisition Manager, Trainer; Contracting, Airlift; Contracting, C2ISREW; Contracting, Helicopter or EWO; Contracting, Special Operations
What they do:Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of buyers, purchasing officers, and related workers involved in purchasing materials, products, and services. Includes wholesale or retail trade merchandising managers and procurement managers.
On the job, you would:
- Represent companies in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers.
- Develop cost reduction strategies and savings plans.
- Develop and implement purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures.
- accounting and economics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- understanding people's reactions
- bringing people together to solve differences
- managing your time and the time of other people
- selecting and managing the best workers for a job
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- come up with lots of ideas
- create new and original ideas
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
People interested in this work like activities that include leading, making decisions, and business.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Enterprise resource planning ERP software
- Microsoft Dynamics
- SAP software
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Ariba Spend Management Suite
- PurchasingNet eProcurement
Education: (rated 4 of 5)
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about purchasing managers.