Design Drafter, Drafter, Mechanical Designer, Mechanical Drafter
Select a military branch to see samples.
Engineering; Engineering Apprentice; Engineering Craftsman; Engineering Helper; Engineering Journeyman; Engineering SuperintendentNo similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
Aeronautical Engineering Officer, Aircraft Mechanical, Electronic, Electrical and Safety Equipment; Launching, Recovery and Landing Aids Engineering OfficerNo similar titles were found.
What they do:Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
On the job, you would:
- Develop detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies, tools, and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
- Produce three-dimensional models, using computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Lay out and draw schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- figuring out how to use new ideas or things
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- communicate by speaking
- communicate by writing
Ideas and Logic
- come up with lots of ideas
- create new and original ideas
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer aided design CAD software
- Autodesk AutoCAD Civil 3D
- Autodesk Revit
- Microsoft PowerPoint
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe After Effects
- Trimble SketchUp Pro
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
associate's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Architectural & Civil Drafters
- Computer Numerically Controlled Tool Programmers
- Electrical & Electronics Drafters
- Layout Workers, Metal & Plastic
- Mechanical Engineering Technologists & Technicians
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about mechanical drafters.