Health Physicist, Physicist, Research Scientist, Scientist
see titles from the Coast Guard or Navy.
What they do:
Conduct research into physical phenomena, develop theories on the basis of observation and experiments, and devise methods to apply physical laws and theories.
On the job, you would:
- Perform complex calculations as part of the analysis and evaluation of data, using computers.
- Describe and express observations and conclusions in mathematical terms.
- Analyze data from research conducted to detect and measure physical phenomena.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
Engineering and Technology
- product and service development
- computers and electronics
- using scientific rules and strategies to solve problems
- using math to solve problems
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- figuring out how a system should work and how changes in the future will affect it
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- listen and understand what people say
- read and understand what is written
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- create new and original ideas
- quickly know what you are looking at
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- CERN Physics Analysis Workstation PAW
- Spectral Dynamics STAR
Development environment software
Graphics or photo imaging software
- Adobe Systems Adobe Photoshop
post-doctoral training or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
You might like a career in one of these industries: