Library Assistant, Library Associate, Library Technical Assistant (LTA), Library Technician
Select a military branch to see samples.
Education And Training; Education And Training Apprentice; Education And Training Craftsman; Education And Training Helper; Education and Training Journeyman; Historian; Historian Apprentice; Historian Helper; Historian Journeyman; Historian ManagerNo similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
HistorianNo similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
What they do:Assist librarians by helping readers in the use of library catalogs, databases, and indexes to locate books and other materials; and by answering questions that require only brief consultation of standard reference. Compile records; sort and shelve books or other media; remove or repair damaged books or other media; register patrons; and check materials in and out of the circulation process. Replace materials in shelving area (stacks) or files. Includes bookmobile drivers who assist with providing services in mobile libraries.
On the job, you would:
- Reserve, circulate, renew, and discharge books and other materials.
- Answer routine telephone or in-person reference inquiries, referring patrons to librarians for further assistance, when necessary.
- Help patrons find and use library resources, such as reference materials, audio-visual equipment, computers, and other electronic resources and provide technical assistance when needed.
- customer service
- administrative services
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
Education and Training
- teaching and course design
- reading work related information
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- looking for ways to help people
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
Ideas and Logic
- group things in different ways
- order or arrange things
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Self Control
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base user interface and query software
- FileMaker Pro
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) databases
- WebClarity Software BookWhere
Education: (rated 3 of 5)
bachelor's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are less likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Database Administrators
- Document Management Specialists
- File Clerks
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Office Clerks, General
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about library technicians.