Boiler Maker, Boiler Mechanic, Boiler Technician, Boilermaker
see titles from the Army or Navy.
Cannon Crewmember; Cavalry Scout; Combat Engineer; Unit Supply Specialist; Wheeled Vehicle Repairer
Boiler Repairer Technician; Machinist's Mate
What they do:
Construct, assemble, maintain, and repair stationary steam boilers and boiler house auxiliaries. Align structures or plate sections to assemble boiler frame tanks or vats, following blueprints. Work involves use of hand and power tools, plumb bobs, levels, wedges, dogs, or turnbuckles. Assist in testing assembled vessels. Direct cleaning of boilers and boiler furnaces. Inspect and repair boiler fittings, such as safety valves, regulators, automatic-control mechanisms, water columns, and auxiliary machines.
On the job, you would:
- Attach rigging and signal crane or hoist operators to lift heavy frame and plate sections or other parts into place.
- Study blueprints to determine locations, relationships, or dimensions of parts.
- Repair or replace defective pressure vessel parts, such as safety valves or regulators, using torches, jacks, caulking hammers, power saws, threading dies, welding equipment, or metalworking machinery.
Engineering and Technology
- building and construction
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Manufactured or Agricultural Goods
- manufacture and distribution of products
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- put together small parts with your fingers
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
Ideas and Logic
- notice when problems happen
- use rules to solve problems
- listen and understand what people say
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Computer based training software
- Health and safety training software
Office suite software