Blast Hole Driller, Drill Operator, Driller, Well Driller
Select a military branch to see samples.
Pavements and Construction Equipment; Pavements and Construction Equipment Apprentice; Pavements and Construction Equipment Craftsman; Pavements and Construction Equipment Helper; Pavements and Construction Equipment Journeyman
Horizontal Construction Engineer; Quarrying Specialist (RC)No similar titles were found. No similar titles were found.
Blaster; Equipment Operator; Water Well Drilling TechnicianNo similar titles were found.
What they do:Operate a variety of drills such as rotary, churn, and pneumatic to tap subsurface water and salt deposits, to remove core samples during mineral exploration or soil testing, and to facilitate the use of explosives in mining or construction. Includes horizontal and earth boring machine operators.
On the job, you would:
- Operate controls to stabilize machines and to position and align drills.
- Start, stop, and control drilling speed of machines and insertion of casings into holes.
- Regulate air pressure, rotary speed, and downward pressure, according to the type of rock or concrete being drilled.
Engineering and Technology
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
Hand and Finger Use
- keep your arm or hand steady
- hold or move items with your hands
- quickly change the controls of a machine, car, truck or boat
- use your arms and/or legs together while sitting, standing, or lying down
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
- quickly compare groups of letters, numbers, pictures, or other things
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Stress Tolerance
You might use software like this on the job:
- Microsoft Excel
Mobile location based services software
- Global positioning system GPS software
Office suite software
- Microsoft Office software
Education: (rated 2 of 5)
high school diploma/GED or
no high school diploma/GED
no high school diploma/GED
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Continuous Mining Machine Operators
- Drilling & Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, & Tenders, Metal & Plastic
- Explosives Workers, Ordnance Handling Experts, & Blasters
- Helpers--Extraction Workers
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil & Gas
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about earth drillers.