Baggage Porters & Bellhops
Also called: Bell Captain, Bellman, Skycap, Valet
Produced by CareerOneStop
Video transcript: skip transcript
Whether they’re caring for guests at a hotel or shepherding travelers’ luggage onto buses and planes, baggage porters and bellhops lighten the loads of travelers. At airports and other transit hubs, baggage porters assist with checking luggage, they receive and label baggage and boxes, and provide information for travelers. They may also be expected to keep an eye out for any suspicious activity or items. At hotels, bellhops greet incoming guests, handle their luggage and guide them around facilities. Bellhops and porters may also be responsible for other duties, such as giving guests directions, setting up conference rooms, delivering messages and room service orders, and assisting guests with special needs. Baggage porters and bellhops usually work full-time schedules, although hours may flex depending on the week’s events and activities at a hotel or resort. These workers typically need a high school diploma or equivalent.
What they do:Handle baggage for travelers at transportation terminals or for guests at hotels or similar establishments.
On the job, you would:
- Receive and mark baggage by completing and attaching claim checks.
- Greet incoming guests and escort them to their rooms.
- Transport guests about premises and local areas, or arrange for transportation.
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Safety and Government
- public safety and security
- movement of people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- talking to others
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
- communicate by speaking
- listen and understand what people say
- do two or more things at the same time
- pay attention to something without being distracted
- exercise for a long time without getting out of breath
People interested in this work like activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Self Control
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Office suite software
Electronic mail software