Secretaries & Administrative Assistants
Also called: Administrative Assistant, Administrative Secretary, Office Assistant, Secretary
What they do:Perform routine clerical and administrative functions such as drafting correspondence, scheduling appointments, organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files, or providing information to callers.
On the job, you would:
- Use computers for various applications, such as database management or word processing.
- Answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Create, maintain, and enter information into databases.
- administrative services
- customer service
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- writing things for co-workers or customers
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- looking for ways to help people
- changing what is done based on other people's actions
- listen and understand what people say
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- order or arrange things
- notice when problems happen
People interested in this work like activities that include data, detail, and regular routines.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Concern for Others
You might use software like this on the job:
Data base management system software
Operating system software