Operations Research Analysts
Advanced Analytics Associate, Analytical Strategist, Decision Analyst, Operations Research Analyst
Select a military branch to see samples.
Air Force Operations Staff Officer; Airborne Cryptologic Language Analyst Craftsman, Russian; Airborne Cryptologic Language Analyst Journeyman, Russian; Bomber/Special Electronic Warfare and Radar Surveillance Integrated Avionics Apprentice, E-3 Radar Surveillance; Bomber/Special Electronic Warfare and Radar Surveillance Integrated Avionics Journeyman, E-3 Computer/Electronic Warfare Systems; Education And Training; Innovation Officer; Physicist/Nuclear Engineer, Fighter; Signals Intelligence Journeyman, Communications Analyst; Space System Operations
All Source Intelligence Technician; Field Artillery Technician; Human Intelligence Collector; Intelligence Senior Sergeant; Nuclear and Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction (CWMD); Research and Engineering; Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Voice Interceptor; Space Operations; Special Forces Warrant Officer; Systems Development
Boatswain Specialty; Boatswain's Mate; Enterprise Policy, Planning, Budget, and Management; Intelligence Specialist; Marine Safety Specialist Deck; Marine Safety Specialist Engineer; Operations Research and Data Analytics; Operations Systems Specialist
Aviation Data Analyst; Communications Intelligence/Electronic Warfare Operator; Data Systems Specialist; Enlisted AIRSpeed Coordinator; Imagery Analysis Specialist; M1A1 Tank Master Gunner; Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) Planning Specialist; Operations Analyst; Red Team Member; Signals Intelligence/Electronic Warfare Technician
AOC Chief of Combat Plans Division; Assessment Analyst; CWO - Intelligence; Intelligence Specialist; LDO - Intelligence; Maritime Space Planner; Navigation and Plotting Specialist; Operational Intelligence Analyst; RL - Special Duty Officer (Oceanography); Reserve Program DirectorNo similar titles were found.
What they do:Formulate and apply mathematical modeling and other optimizing methods to develop and interpret information that assists management with decisionmaking, policy formulation, or other managerial functions. May collect and analyze data and develop decision support software, services, or products. May develop and supply optimal time, cost, or logistics networks for program evaluation, review, or implementation.
On the job, you would:
- Formulate mathematical or simulation models of problems, relating constants and variables, restrictions, alternatives, conflicting objectives, and their numerical parameters.
- Perform validation and testing of models to ensure adequacy, and reformulate models, as necessary.
- Collaborate with senior managers and decision makers to identify and solve a variety of problems and to clarify management objectives.
Math and Science
- arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, or statistics
Arts and Humanities
- English language
Engineering and Technology
- computers and electronics
- product and service development
- using math to solve problems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- noticing a problem and figuring out the best way to solve it
People and Technology Systems
- measuring how well a system is working and how to improve it
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- choose the right type of math to solve a problem
- add, subtract, multiply, or divide
- read and understand what is written
- communicate by speaking
Ideas and Logic
- make general rules or come up with answers from lots of detailed information
- use rules to solve problems
People interested in this work like activities that include ideas, thinking, and figuring things out.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
You might use software like this on the job:
Analytical or scientific software
- IBM SPSS Statistics
- The MathWorks MATLAB
Word processing software
- Google Docs
- Microsoft Word
Operating system software
- UNIX Shell
Education: (rated 5 of 5)
master's degree or
Get started on your career:
New job opportunities are very likely in the future.
Local Salary Info
- Business Intelligence Analysts
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Data Scientists
- Management Analysts
- Software Developers
You might like a career in one of these industries:
See more details at O*NET OnLine about operations research analysts.